Offutt Air Force Base
Fort Crook, later named and redesigned as Offutt Air Force Base, spurred Bellevue's largest growth. Offutt became home to the huge Martin bomber plant during World War II and, shortly after the war, housed the headquarters of the Strategic Air Command. It attracted thousands of workers, both civilian and military, who made Bellevue their home. Bellevue's population grew from less than 1200 in 1940 to almost 4000 in 1950 and then almost 9000 ten years later. A decade later, Bellevue's population again more than doubled, to more than 20,000.
The Martin Bomber Plant was the site of manufacture for the historically significant Enola Gay and Bockscar, the planes used by the US to drop atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan, respectively, ending the Pacific war.
Offutt Air Force Base is the location of the 55th Wing, United States Strategic Command and the Air Force Weather Agency.
The first divided highway in Nebraska was built from the south Omaha city limits to Offutt Air Force Base. Today known as Fort Crook Road, it was finished December 8, 1941, the day after the attacks at Pearl Harbor.