Trash, Yard Waste & Recycling Program for Bellevue Residents
The City Contract for trash, yard waste and recycling is currently held by
Papillion Sanitation & Recycling Services for all single-family and
duplex-family residents within the city limits. For local business and Bellevue
residents not receiving curbside services, there are three convenient recycling
drop off centers: Wal-Mart (south side), 10504 S 15th St. Bellevue, Think Green
Bellevue (sponsored by Hands of the Heartland), 211 Galvin Rd N. Bellevue, and
RiverCity Recycling, 6030 S 60th St., Omaha. RiverCity and Wal-Mart locations
also accept glass for recycling.
This page outlines the current guidelines for trash, yard waste and recycling
collections at the curbside. You can also review the Papillion Sanitation
Collections Guidelines Flyer that contains this information as well as allowed
recycling material guidelines.
If you have questions or concerns with your service, please contact Papillion
Sanitation Customer service line at 402-346-7800 or send an email to
email@example.com. You may also contact Bellevue Public Works at
402-293-3135 from 7:00 am – 3:30 pm Monday – Friday with questions or to order
an 18-gallon recycling bin.
Also visit the Green Bellevue website at www.greenbellevue.org or visit
www.earth911.org to locate where you can recycle items that are not currently
picked up in the curbside program or allowed at the drop off centers.
SERVICE TIMES AND OVERALL GUIDLINES
Trash pickup is done weekly. See this schedule for other pick up cycles:
- Standard recycling is offered on a weekly basis
- Optional RecycleBank recycling services using 96-gallon carts is picked up every
two weeks. You will receive a schedule for the pick up dates in your
- Yard Waste service is offered on a weekly basis from April 1 thru Nov 30
- Please placed items within five feet of the curb by 7:00 am
- Trash containers should be kept apart from yard waste and recycling containers.
- There is no limit to the volume of yard waste and recycling that you leave on
the curb each week. However, there is a weekly limit of 175 gallons of trash
that you are allowed
Due to the landfill being closed on the following holidays, service will be
delayed one day following the holiday, unless the holiday falls on a weekend.
Any collection days before the holiday will be on regular schedule. Only the
collection days on or following the holiday will be delayed one day.
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- New Years Day
- For standard trash, yard and recycling services, any combination of 35, 60 or 90
gallon containers can be used as long as each container is no more than 60 lbs.
unless you are using the RecycleBank cart.
- Residents may use their own containers as long as yard waste and recycling
containers are clearly marked. Optional Papillion Sanitation yard waste and
recycling stickers are available at City Hall Finance office (front entrance of
City Hall at the window) and at Green Bellevue meetings and events.
- 18 gallon bins for recycling are made available at no charge by calling the
Bellevue Public Works at 402-293-3135 from 7:00 am – 3:30 pm Monday – Friday
- Subscribers to the enhanced recycling program, RecycleBank, will be provided a
96-gallon, lidded, wheeled cart and there is no limit to the weight of the cart.
Contact Papillion Sanitation Customer service line at 402-346-7800 to subscribe.
- The total volume of trash is limited to no more than 175 gallons per week.
- All cans must have handles.
- NO 55-gallon drums or barrels.
- Plastic bags are only allowed for trash
TOTAL VOLUME OF TRASH can be no more than 175 gallons per week.
Additional specifications for trash containers:
- Plastic bags can be used for trash waste only.
- Bags need to be securely tied with the maximum capacity not exceeding 35 gallons
or 30 pounds per bag.
- The following is not picked up by Papillion Sanitation: Paint, solvents, tires,
YARD WASTE COLLECTION
Service is offered from April 1 thru Nov 30. Separating yard waste from trash
allows us to divert these compostable items from the landfill. Yard waste is
defined as leaves, lawn clippings and selected organic waste material such as
dead plants and weeds. Tree branches are not accepted with the yard waste and
should be put with the trash.
There is NO LIMIT on the number of cans or biodegradable paper bags placed out
for yard waste collection.
Additional specifications for yard waste containers:
- All Yard Waste containers must be marked with "YW" in letters 4 in, or larger.
- Optional Papillion Sanitation yard waste stickers are available at City Hall
Finance office (front entrance of City Hall at the window) and at meetings and
- Biodegradable paper bags may be used and are available at most retail outlets.
NO PLASTIC BAGS for yard waste.
- BRANCHES & BRUSH: Must be bundled and placed with trash collection items.
Branches, brush, etc. shall not exceed 4 feet in length, 2 ft. in diameter and
weigh more than 50 lbs.
- Yard waste should be kept apart from regular garbage.
Standard Recycling Program
We encourage all residents to participate in our recycling program. The more you
recycle the more your community benefits by reducing landfill disposal cost and
our carbon footprint.
There is NO LIMIT on the amount of recycling.
Additional specifications for recycling containers:
- Papillion Sanitation provides a list of allowed recycling materials that can be
put together in the recycling bin and need not be separated;
- All recycling must be put in a clearly marked container. Use either the
universal recycling symbol or the word “Recycling.” The symbol or lettering
should be 4 in. or larger.
- Optional Papillion Sanitation recycling stickers are available at City Hall
Finance office (front entrance of City Hall at the window) and at Green Bellevue
meetings and events.
- 18-gallon recycling container bins are available at no charge. If you do not
have a bin, need a replacement or multiple bins please call the Public Works
department at 402-293-3135. If moving, please leave the bin at the residence for
the next occupants, as the bin is the property of the contractor.
- DO NOT USE PAPER OR PLASTIC BAGS for recycling materials
- Recycling containers should be kept apart from regular garbage.
Papillion Sanitation’s Enhanced Recycling Program: RecycleBank
Papillion Sanitation is offering residents of Bellevue the enhanced recycling
program, RecycleBank. Residents who have the standard curbside pickup can
subscribe. See below for a recap of the benefits and changes to service once you
subscribe to this program. If you are interested in subscribing to RecycleBank
or have questions, please call the Papillion Sanitation customer service line at
- Glass bottles and jars are allowed in the RecycleBank cart
- 96-gallon, lidded, wheeled recycling cart is provided
- All loads picked up for the RecycleBank customers will be on a bi-weekly basis,
using a specialize truck that is automated
- Automated recycling truck identifies the correct home and account by a unique ID
tag placed on a home's recycling cart, so to track the weight of recycling
- With the RecycleBank, once you have activated your account online, points will
be deposited into your account. Members can use their points to redeem for the
rewards of your choice at over 1,500 local and national businesses
Guidelines for Allowed Recycling Materials
- Papillion Sanitation offers specific guidelines for what can be included in the
recycling. Click Here for the Flyer
- These items are not allowed in the recycling: Styrofoam, rubber bands, plastic
bags, soiled paper (example: pizza boxes), tissue paper, paper towels or
- Plastic bags are not allowed in the standard recycling service but can be taken
to Bakers, Wal-Mart or No Frills.
- Glass is not allowed in the standard recycling service but can be taken to a
local recycling drop off center located at Wal-Mart (south side), 10504 S 15th
St. Bellevue or RiverCity Recycling, 6030 S 60th St., Omaha.
- Motor Oil: Place used motor oil in 1 gallon plastic jug (milk jug) or other
non-breakable container. Clearly mark container "Used Motor Oil". Place
container next to regular trash items.
See the Green Bellevue website at www.greenbellevue.org or visit
www.earth911.org to locate where you can recycle items that are not currently
picked up in the curbside program.